
I made these ornaments last year thanks to inspired lessons from my friends at The Stamp Shack, I was recently asked to post how I did them. Its craft season again so time to make more!
These started as clear ornaments. I’ve used both the small inexpensive ones from Big Lots and the nice craft weight ones from Michael’s & A.C. Moore – the craft ones had bigger necks that weren’t so fragile so it made it easier to get the wire & cap out & back in.
Water down some white glue that dries clear (I used Aileen’s Tacky Glue) and pour it into the ornament. Move it around so the whole inside of the ornament is coated with the glue.
Pour in holographic glitter (I got mine at Michaels), put your finger over the neck hole and shake until the glue is completely coated with glitter. Different size glitter will give different effects – the extra fine or fine makes it glittery, the larger gives chunks of reflective colors. After the glue is completely coated, dump out the excess.
Next step is to put the Alcohol Ink (AI) on the outside. As my friend Christie says “dab, dab, dab, dab, dab, dab, dab, dab, dab, dab, dab, dab, dab, dab, dab, dab, dab…then dab some more!” I found by going around a 2nd or 3rd time gave it more interest.
Here is a link to Christie's blog - she posted a video :) http://imuststamp.blogspot.com/
I prefer to do the AI while the glue inside is still showing white - it gives me a better idea where I have coverage and where I need more.
The AI dries very quickly, but the glue inside needs time. Turn it upside down and let the excess drip out. If you put the wire & cap back on too soon, it will rust and could discolor the effect.
I tried using silver ornaments, but the effect was not nearly as nice. Christie used white opaque ones and they look great, so that will be my next project.

These are tiny ornaments I made into earrings. Really cute when done, but a lot of work to get the glue & glitter to lay right and then put the alcohol ink on the outside without getting it all over my hands.
2 comments:
Great tutorial- I will have to give this a try! The earring are so cute! Nice balls- ha ha ha!
They are so beautiful. Thanks for sharing your instructions.
Post a Comment